!

Thursday, February 20, 2014

BRAVE NEW ESSAY TOPIC

This is Question 3 from the 2005 AP Exam. It is: In a novel or play that you have studied, identify a character who conforms outwardly while questioning inwardly. Then write an essay in which you analyze how this tension between outward conformity and inward questioning contributes to the meaning of the work. 

This question makes me think of Brave New World and reminds me of Daniel's comment from class today. He talked about how he thought that Bernard was a conformist because he didn't rebel against society in an outright way. From what we've read so far, it is obvious that Bernard doesn't fit in with the social order. He finds many of its aspects disturbing and he is independent and individual. In my essay I would write about how Bernard represents the foil to the system and how he shows all of the things that are wrong with this new society. Bernard questions himself because he knows that he doesn't fit into his world.

3 comments:

  1. I like the essay topic you chose, and your reasoning through which Brave New World would fit it, but I especially like that you mentioned me in the post! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Daniel, you made a good point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this topic Becky, I'm going to use it for my essay.

    ReplyDelete